International Leadership Foundation to host 16th Leadership & Business Conference, Luncheon, and Awards Gala
On July 30, 2015, the International Leadership Foundation (ILF), along with the Coalition of Asian American Business Organizations, hosted the annual Leadership and Business Conference. The Conference took place at the Capital Hilton on Thursday, July 30, 2015 at 1001 16th Street NW, Washington, DC at 8:00 a.m.
The day-long conference featured two panel discussions and close with luncheon. The first panel, U.S.-Asia Global Strategic Alliance, discussed the global impact of growing U.S.-Asia economic cooperation, and the opportunity to strengthen ties between future leaders. The second panel, Advocacy on Asian American Businesses & Entrepreneurship, facilitated discussion on key issues relating to the growth and global competitiveness of AAPI business.
In addition, ILF welcomed its distinguished guests and other Asian American honorees at its Annual Awards Gala Dinner, held at 6:00 p.m. at the same venue.
Master of Ceremony: Mark Keam, Senior Advisor, Verizon/VA Delegate
Welcoming Remarks: Howard Li, Founder & Chairperson, Waitex International
PANEL I: UNITED STATES – ASIA GLOBAL STRATEGIC ALLIANCES
David Hinson, CFO and Chief Mergers& Acquisitions, MicroTech, LLC
Lauri Farris, Executive Director for Asia, International Trade Administration, US Department of Commerce
Anthony B. Kim: Research Manager, Index of Economic Freedom, Senior Policy Analyst, Center for Trade and Economics (CTE), The Institute for Economic Freedom and Opportunity at The Heritage Foundation
Hank Levine: Senior Director, Albright Stonebridge
PANEL II: ADVOCACY OF ASIAN AMERICAN BUSINESS AND ENTREPRENEURSHIP
David Do: Executive Director, DC Mayor Office of AAPIs
Jimmy Rhee: Special Secretary, Maryland Governor’s Office of Minority Affairs
Albert Shen: National Deputy Director, Minority Business Development Agency, U.S. Department of Commerce
Sach Takayasu: President & CEO, Asian/Pacific Islander American Chamber of Commerce & Entrepreneurship
Master of Ceremony: Farook Sait
Opening Remarks: Shau-Wai Lam, Founder & Chairman, DCH Auto Group
Keynote Speaker: The Honorable Chris P. Lu, Deputy Secretary of Labor
Remarks: Maryland Delegate Kumar Barve & Connecticut State Senator Tony Hwang
Appreciation Remarks: Samuel Kim, 2015 ILF Civic Fellow , Yale University
Adya Jain, 2015 ILF Civic Fellow, Washington University in St. Louis
International Leadership Foundation 16th Anniversary and Annual Awards Gala
Every year, ILF recognizes a select number of truly remarkable individuals and organizations at our annual Awards Gala. They are chosen not only because of their tremendous professional achievements, but also for their dedication to the improvement of the Asian Pacific American (AAPI) community. Past Awards Gala honorees and speakers include The Honorable Norman Mineta, former Secretary of Transportation and Honorary ILF Chairman; the Honorable Elaine Chao, former Secretary of Labor and Honorary ILF Chairwoman; Senator
Mazie Hirono; AAPI Members of Congress; Tina Tchen, Chief of Staff of the First Lady; international film start Jackie Chan; David Ho, prominent AIDS researcher; Yoshimi Inaba, Executive Chairman Toyota Motor Sales; and Todd Park, U.S. Chief Technology Officer.
On July 30, 2015, the International Leadership Foundation (ILF) honored Asian American public servants and community leaders, dedicated to promoting the well-being of the Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) community and addressing its needs. ILF welcomed these distinguished guests and other Asian American honorees at its Annual Awards Gala Dinner.
Awardees and Speakers:
- Gala Welcoming Remarks – Ms. Chiling Tong, Founder/CEO of ILF
- Opening & Special Remarks – AAPI Members of Congress
- Organizational Award – Dr. James Chao & The Ruth Mulan Chu Chao Foundation
- Inspirational Leader Award – Angela Chao, Deputy Chairman, Foremost Group
- Keynote Speech – The Honorable Elaine L. Chao, 24th S. Secretary of Labor (2001-2009) & Chair of The Ruth Mulan Chu Chao Foundation
- Public Servant Award
Kumar Barve, Delegate, Maryland House of Delegates
Tony Hwang, Senator, Connecticut State Senate
Stephanie Yonekura, U.S. Attorney, Central District of California
- Award Acceptance Remarks — Stephanie Yonekura, U.S. Attorney, Central District of California
- Leadership Award
Floyd Mori, CEO & President, Asian Pacific American Institute for Congressional Studies
Cherry Hwang, Founder of New York Senior Care Group
Russell Wu, Founder of Trust Air Cargo
Sunny Ng, President of Rhode Island American Chinese Association
David Ho, President of Marietta Management Service Corp.
Chun Ya Chen, CEO of Benefit Tomorrow
Edward Dong, Vice Chairman of Revenco
Master Jhoon Rhee, Grandmaster, Jhoon Rhee Taekwondo School
James Birney, Owner of Stone Mountain Properties
ILF Background Information:
- ILF is a non-profit organization that promotes civic awareness, public service, and economic effectiveness of the Asian Pacific American community.
- ILF’s aims to develop young leaders in the United States, Asia, and other Pacific Rim countries in the fields of public service, entrepreneurship, and the international arena though a network of business and community leaders.
ILF Achievements To-Date:
- ILF is celebrating 16th Year Anniversary
- ILF’s network of national advisory boards and global advisory councils spans 15 cities.
- ILF has provided scholarships and leadership training for over 1,000 AAPI college students. Many ILF alumni have gone on to prominent leadership roles in public service, such as Executive Director for the Congressional Asian Pacific American Caucus.
CAABO Background Information:
- CAABO is a national network of Asian American chambers of commerce, business organizations, and individual corporations dedicated to the economic empowerment and growth of Asian Pacific American businesses.
- The CAABO network currently encompasses 23 chambers, reaching thousands of Asian American businesses across the country.
- CAABO facilitates increased procurement and contract opportunities for Asian American businesses by leveraging contacts with leaders in federal agencies and corporate decision-makers.